Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Final post for now

I thought 23 Things was a pretty good program for the most part. I had used or at least heard a lot about all the different "things" mentioned, but this forced me to actually go out and try to use them all.

I think they were all fairly good introductions and my main fear with many of them is that we will not be allowed to use them. I think googledocs is a good example of this since I am pretty sure the city does not want us to create documents that it can not access and store. But we have share point which allows us to do basically the same thing, but with Microsoft office software. Other examples are blogger and youtube, which I think are good tools, but I also think that if certain city employees had their way we would not be allowed to access them.

A minor issue is that if we are going to do trainings like this in the future it would be nice to have things like headphones ready for anyone who would like to use them. I had to go digging through my miscellaneous wires box in my garage to find a set. Even the little video introduction assumed you could listen to it, but many employees are using computers that the public can see and it does not look good to have headphones on when interacting with the public.

I would not mind doing another set. I am not sure how to increase the participation level and I did like the extended deadline since I was way too busy when this first started to make time for it, but have had more free time the last month or so. I like the fact that many of my fellow employees are on the same page as me and think that this could be a useful tool for things like RFID and evanced.

1 comment:

  1. I dub thee "done." We've been looking at Things 24 through 60. No kidding.

    ReplyDelete