Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Wikis

Several of the wikis were interesting and I thought a couple of them that I was not familiar with like best practices seem to work really well. I was glad to see that all of them looked like they required some form of registration since i think that helps keep the qulaity high.

The book lovers wiki was kind of disappointing since there were hardly any entries. I think that is the sort of site that could be useful for a library if it had more users, but I only saw around a hundred reviews on the site and the ones I glanced at were all positive as well. A site like amazon already does a similar service, but with multiple reviews for hundreds of thousands of books and other media. The librarian chicks wiki worked well, except that some of the better reference sites require a subscription.

The bullrun library one works well and I am most excited about that one. Our staff sends out emails to each other and it is easy to get information lost in all the clutter and a central place to put all the information would be useful. Also, there can be several layers to get through before our public website can be changed and having a public wiki that could be updated quickly by any staff member for instance when libraries are shut down or events scheduled/cancelled would be very useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment