Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Web 2.0

I went and picked Zillow.com, which was the winner for best real estate site. It provides a birds eye view of the property you look up, along with an estimate as to its value based on home prices and public records. I looked up my own house on it and found some good information. The site was not completely accurate and does not recognize my neighbor's home for instance. And the estimate it gave for mine was about 20% more than I paid threee years ago, which with the decline of real estate prices over the last three years leaves me skeptical. On the other hand it gave a realistic value for my parent's house in southern California, which has fluctuated a lot more over the last decade and is harder to guess.

It is is kind of a useful site to recommend to patrons, but I do not know if I would recommend it too much since it is not an official estimate. For the other factors like finding details about the property such as square footage, number of bedrooms, lot size, school district informationm and year it was built it is pretty accurate. It could be useful for patrons who come in with questions about the local appraisal district vaulations of houses.

(Oops. Forgot to write this one up earlier when I looked at it.)

No comments:

Post a Comment